Now I'm back to 6.06 LTS, naturally followed this article to secure my slice. I didn't do all of them, just these steps
passwd root to change root password then
adduser newusername and used
visudo to edit
/etc/sudoers file adding
newusername ALL=(ALL) ALL to the end of the file. I then used a new terminal window to make sure I could login using
newusername before exiting as root.
free -m output was
total = 256
used = 42
free = 213
free swap = 511
I then did
sudo apt-get update and <sudo apt-get install localeconf language-pack-en which turned out to be not necessary. The
sudo apt-get upgrade was also not necessary may be the image is already the latest one.
Last step was a reboot by
sudo shutdown -r now
After that I need to get some essential packages by
sudo apt-get install build-essential. Let's look at memory again when that was done.
used = 159
free = 96
buffers = 4
cached = 120
swap used = 0